.

KLCC Travel n Shopping Paradise

Living the good life in KLCC

Jeremy's World

...................FUSION of FOOD, SHOPPING, TRAVEL, PEOPLE and LIFESTYLE............


Ever wonder why western countries are talking so much about recession and we here in Malaysia is not feeling the pinch? I was having coffee the other day with an old friend at Starbucks in Mid-Valley Mega mall and the subject of economy slowdown cropped up. I commented on a recent newspaper report that General Motors in under receivership under the Obama administration. So many jobs will be lost and thousands upon thousands the livelihood of employees of GM will be affected. General Motors has become an iconic figure in the US and the effect of it's downfall will be catastrophic. He commented that here in Malaysia we have a good life unlike the US. We don't have the recession! How can he say that, I asked. Look around and for goodness sake, read the papers, I said. There are so many American factories closing down due to poor electronics and computer sales.

But when I look around me, I see Malaysians bustling around and coming out from those "exclusive designer" shops and boutiques with shiny expensive merchandise in their hands. Are we not in a recession? More importantly, do these shoppers realise there is a global financial crunch? Why on earth am I in Starbucks paying almost RM10.00 for my coffee anyway? I could easily have my coffee anywhere else and it would only cost me RM1.50. Little did I realise I am as thick headed as these shoppers.

Most high end properties are not selling well. The five-star hotels have low occupancy rate, the government said it has no money. But the KLCC-gites like me are out enjoying ourselves! This is KLCC, this is Malaysia!

Malaysians tend to have a "tidak apa" attitude. It literally means, we couldn't care less. When the unfortunate happens such as the Asian financial crisis a few years back, the Malaysian starts frantically cutting down all the luxuries and revert to village style living.

When will we learn? Or should I say, when will I Learn?

0 comments:

Post a Comment